Dream-set before they goal-set
You must Dream-Set before you Goal-Set. Dream-Setting provides you with the destination; Goal-Setting is the transportation to get you to your destination. Dreams represent a vision of some future, ideal state or reality. Dreams are the springboard for goals. You can’t achieve goals that are actually dreams in disguise.
Most who set goals, mistake a dream for a goal, and that is why most fail to achieve their goals. For example, making an additional $100,000 a year is a dream, not a goal. Becoming an Olympic athlete is a dream, not a goal. Owning a house on the beach is a dream, not a goal (unless you have the money already).
Dream-Setting is the act of clearly defining a dream. It’s a two-step process:
- Ask yourself what you want your ideal life to be 10, 15 or 20 years out. Then write down every detail of your ideal future life. Be very specific in the details: the income you earn, the house you live in, the boat you own, the car you drive, the money you’ve accumulated, etc.
- Using this detailed description of your ideal future life, make a bullet-point list of each one of the details that represent your ideal life. These would be the income you earn, the house you live in, the boat your own, etc. These details represent your wishes or dreams.
Goal-Setting requires you to build goals around each one of your wishes or dreams. In order to build goals around each wish or dream you need to ask yourself two questions:
- What would I need to do, what activities would I need to engage in, in order for each wish or dream to come true?
- Can I perform those activities?
If the answer to Question #2 is yes, then those activities represent your goals. Goals are only goals when they involve physical action and you have the capability to successfully take action.
Let’s summarize this Dream-Setting / Goal-Setting process:
- Paint a picture with words of your ideal life.
- Define each wish or dream that must be realized in order to have your ideal future life.
- Establish specific goals around each one of your wishes or dreams.
- Take action. Pursue and achieve each of the specific goals that will make each wish or dream come true.
You then repeat this process for every other wish or dream. When you realize each one of your wishes or dreams, your ideal future life will then become your actual real life.
Jeff J Mitchell / Getty Images